The Selling Process
Selling your home or investment property can bring about different feelings. Excitement for what’s next whether you are downsizing, upsizing, relocating or buying another investment property. It can also be stressful having to accommodate buyer schedules when showing the home, making repairs that are costly, or even when the circumstance of you selling is not the best. As your Exclusive Real Estate Agent, I will guide you every step of the way by:
ο Preparing a market analysis of the homes that have sold in your area and determining the best price for your home
ο Recommend any repairs or staging when needed
ο Preparing a marketing plan for your home
ο Finding the right buyer for your home
ο Negotiating the best price for your home
ο Facilitating the inspections and appraisal processes
ο Guiding you through the closing stage
ο Assisting you with your next move
Decide To Sell
So you have decided to sell your property. Before anything else, it is a good idea to sit down and clarify your motivations and draw up a basic time frame for the selling process. As you consider your motivation, ask yourself these questions:
Why do you want to sell your property? Do you intend to simply find a larger property, or do you plan on moving to another neighborhood, school district, city or state? You might think your reasons are obvious, but it would do well to consider the implications of each option for your lifestyle, opportunities, and finances. Being clear about your intentions for selling will make it easier for us to determine the most appropriate option for your specified financial, lifestyle, and real estate goals.
When Should I Sell?
You should immediately establish your time frame for selling. If you need to sell quickly, we can speed up the process by giving you a complete market analysis and action plan to obtain all of your goals. If there is no pressing need to sell immediately, we can sit down and thoroughly review the current market conditions and find the most favorable time to sell.
What Is The Market Like?
When you work with me, you can be sure that you will have my knowledge, expertise and negotiating skills at work for you to arrive at the best market prices and terms. I will keep you up-to-date on what is happening in the marketplace and the price, financing, terms and conditions of competing properties. With me, you will know exactly how to price and when to sell your property.
How Do I Optimize My Finances?
Deciding to sell your property demands a serious consideration of your current financial situation and future possibilities. With my help, you will be able to effectively assess the cumulative impact of these changes, estimate potential proceeds of selling your property, and plan effective tax savings and estate planning strategies. I will ensure that you not only take control of your finances, but use them to their fullest potential.
Choose A Real Estate Agent
The allure to sell your home independently may be advantageous in that it saves you commission, however, you should consider using a professional like me in this important undertaking. I will ensure that you maximize your opportunities in the current real estate market. With my extensive marketing resources, I will employ the most effective marketing and advertising strategies for your property. I will also guide you through the complicated paperwork involved, from the initial agreement to the final documents.
Here are a few things you should consider when looking for an agent:
1. Education: The most important factor in choosing a real estate professional is their education in the real estate industry.
2. Experience and Expertise: You want a full-time agent who is familiar with your area and with the type of property you intend to sell. Does he or she employ a diverse range of marketing and advertising strategies?
3. How tech-savvy is your agent? How many similar properties has he or she been able to sell in the past?
4. Availability and Commitment: Your agent should be capable of prompt and decisive action during the course of selling your property. Does your agent make it a point to keep in touch with you constantly? Can your agent easily be contacted in case of emergencies or even for the simplest questions? Is your agent available on the weekends or in the evenings when most buyers are out looking?
5. Rapport: Does your agent take the time to listen to your goals and clarify your needs? Can your agent understand your unique situation and be genuinely concerned about the outcome of the process? Your listing agent will be your guide and partner in this crucial decision, so it is important to find one with whom you can get along.
Here are Some of The Reasons You should Choose Me As Your Agent
Resposniveness, Loyalty & Disclosure
As your Exclusive Realtor I act in good faith at all times. I listen to and consider your instructions, return all calls and emails promptly, place your interests above all others and keep your personal information strictly confidential. Furthermore, I ensure that all parties to the transaction are aware of any material facts that may affect the transaction.
I stay up to date with the local market trends to know first hand what properties are on the market and what they are selling for. This allows me to price your Home right so that it sells quickly and for the most profit to you.
I will guide you through the process of selling your home providing expert advice where needed. I make recommendations as to staging, potential repairs, and preparing your home, in order to make it more attractive to buyers.
Analyze Market Conditions & Set Price
Pricing Your Property Right:
In-order to get the most price for your house, we have to price it based on what the buyer is willing to pay. I will determine this by conducting a market analysis, evaluating comparable homes in your neighborhood to find the best price for your home.
Pricing your home is a complex task that requires the expertise of an experienced real estate professional. Consider the following:
1. If the listing price is set outside of the proper parameters, potential buyers may be deterred from considering your home
2. Arriving at the optimal price requires evaluation and understanding of current marketing conditions, the marketable features of your home and recent trends in the real estate market
3. The closer your home is priced to fair market value when it first comes on the market, the more likely it will sell quickly at the highest price
4. The higher your home is priced above market value, the fewer number of available buyers
Learn More About Market Trends in Your Area By Visiting the Communities Section
Subscribe To Receive Real Estate Market Reports
Prepare Home To Sell
Setting The Stage For Your Home
The following “staging tips” by award-winning interior designer Lorna Oppenheimer will help your home look its very best.
1. Check the visibility of your house numbers; repaint or polish if necessary
2. Create an inviting walkway by adding color with annuals to brighten your home and welcome buyers
3. Open windows every day to let in fresh air and appeal to buyer’s sense of smell by creating an inviting feeling by lighting candles or baking
4. Sharpen the look of your rooms by paying attention to detail—polish knobs and handles and replace lights in bathrooms and kitchen as necessary
5. Create a focal point in your entryway by adding a picture, lamp or plant
6.Remove furniture to make rooms appear larger and allow for a clear traffic pattern
7. Unify the accent pieces and details in your home—replace old lampshades, bedspreads and bath towels and coordinate matching area rugs, pillows and candles throughout all rooms
8. Try to make a child’s room minimally personal and make sure it is safe
9. Move your best pieces of furniture toward the front of each room and your least attractive pieces toward the back
10. Hang all pictures on the low side and hang mirrors across from windows that get a lot of light or have a view
11. Set your dining room table for a decorative appeal
12. Place plants and fresh owners in rooms to add vibrancy and freshness
Marketing Your Home To Sell
Marketing is another important component in selling your home. Thus, I will prepare a marketing plan that will detail the marketing activities and timeline I will use to sell your home.
My goal is MAXIMUM EXPOSURE for your property and I will do this through:
In addition to online presence, I will print different flyers and brochures to be distributed to 200 homes in your neighborhood
Your house will be featured in the 5280 Magazine
I will host open houses
I will call all top agents and my past clients to see if they know anyone looking to move in that neighborhood
I will fax the home information to all agents in Colorado
Door marketing to 200 homes in your neighborhood
Since most home buyers begin their search online, it is the first place they will see your property:
• Virtual Tour
• Property Description Video
• Single Property Website
• Featured on more than 100 websites including craigslist, zillow, homes.com, realtor.com, coloradohomes.com
• Posted in the MLS
• Posted on Facebook, Instagram & Twitter
I hope you can tell from this, not exhaustive, list that my goal is to get your home sold quickly and for the highest market value and you can count on my hard work and dedication to get it done.
Accepting An Offer
Once a buyer has expressed interest in your home and submitted an offer, I will help you review the contract and determine what action to take. You may decide to accept the offer, reject it, or counter. I will take the ethical responsibility of fairly negotiating contractual terms very seriously. It is my job to find a win-win agreement that is beneficial to all parties involved. You may even have to deal with multiple offers before ratifying the one you judge to be the most suitable for you – and as your exclusive agent, I will guarantee a thorough and objective assessment of each offer to help you make the right choice.
If you decide on an offer, you and the buyer will be given a timeline to mark every stage in the process of closing the real estate contract. Meeting the requirements on time ensures a smoother flow of negotiations and also ensures that each party involved is not in breach of their agreements. During the process, I will keep you constantly updates so you will always be prepared for the next step.
Inspections and Appraisals:
Most buyers will have the property inspected by a licensed property inspector within the time frame that was agreed upon in the effective contract to purchase.
Some buyers will have several different inspectors inspect the property, if they wish to obtain professional opinions from inspectors who specialize in a specific area (eg. roof, HVAC, structure). If the agreement is conditional upon financing, then the property will be appraised by a licensed appraiser to determine the value for the lending institution via third party. This is done so that the lending institution can confirm their investment in your property is accurate.
A contingency is a condition that must be met before a contract becomes legally binding. For instance, a buyer will usually include a contingency stating that their contract is binding only when there is a satisfactory home inspection report from a qualified inspector.
Before completing his or her purchase of your property, the buyer goes over every aspect of the property, as provided for by purchase agreements and any applicable addendums. These include:
1. Obtaining financing and insurance
2. Reviewing all pertinent documents, such as preliminary title reports and disclosure documents; and
3. Inspecting the property.
The buyer has the right to determine the condition of your property by subjecting it to a wide range of inspections, such as roof, termite/pest, chimney/fireplace, property boundary survey, well, septic, pool/spa, arborist, mold, lead based paint, HVAC, etc.
Depending on the outcome of these inspections, one of two things may happen:
1. Either each milestone is successfully closed and the contingencies will be removed, bringing you one step closer to the closing; or
2. The buyer, after reviewing the property and the papers, requests a renegotiation of the terms of contract (usually the price).
How do you respond objectively and fairly to the buyer when a renegotiation is demanded, while acting in your best interests? This is when a professional listing agent can make a real difference in the outcome of the transaction. With me by your side, you can rest assured that I will take care of this for you.
A title company will be selected as the closing agent whose job is to examine and insure clear title to real estate. After researching the complete recorded history of your property, they will certify that
1) your title is free and clear of encumbrances (eg. mortgages, leases, or restrictions, liens) by the date of closing; and
2) all new encumbrances are duly included in the title.
On the closing day, the closing agent will provide a settlement sheet that will detail all costs associated with the transaction.
Follow Me On Instagram